Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Drop, Stop and Roll...

Some days, it seems as if tho my body and brain conspires against me...

Dropping...

I was chatting to a colege while making coffee when out of the blue, the jar fell out of my hand and bounced across the carpet, leaving a smear of coffee all over the floor.  My colege stopped mid-sentence, looked at me and started laughing.  Why?  because this is the second time this has happened!  Drat!

It seems as tho my fingers kinda "forgets" that it is holding something if I hold on to it for too long and that the strength at which I am holding the object starts to wane, untill it eventually just drops out of my hand.  At times, while holding a mug ... by the ear ..., it would slip and hang in my fingers, spilling the contents on the floor.

When playing on the keyboard and/or piano ... when I can muster up the strength to ignore the wrist pains ... my fingers just doesn't always respond the way they should.  They either quiver and accidentaly press the wrong note, or they don't press the note with sufficient force, leaving a very soft note in mid-tune.

Stop...

Heh...most of you would find this quite amusing and I don't mind you laughing, as sometimes it catches me so unaware, it makes me laugh.

Walking out of the office building, I am suddenly confronted by the tall, hard, steel frame of the complex door and I stopped inches away from smushing my nose into it...  First off...no, I wasn't looking at some hot chick walking past and accidentally almost walked into the door (Although I wish).  I was looking straight ahead and paying attention to where I was going...  It's almost like either my body decided to suddenly vear off course smack into the path of the door-frame, the door decided to play a prank on me by jumping into my way at the very last minute or that for some reason, I felt I could walk through solid objects. 

The other night, at home, I stood up to fetch something from the kitchen, and as I was walking, I slammed right into the corner of the wall!  What the!  It's weird...  I seem to lose a sense of direction/sense of my surroundings at times.

Roll...

This might not be what you are expecting...  Every so often, I would make the utterly painfull mistake, of swiveling my chair in as I sit down.  The end result?  I smack my knee against my desks drawers!  YYEEEOOOWW!  It's the kind of pain that makes you roll around on the floor with agony.

This form of event, is always a hoot to my coleges.  I don't even smack it hard...it's more like a light tap but man does it hurt.  It feels like someone takes a nine-inch nail and drive it into your knee joint under your knee cap.  It's enough to bugger up my knee for the rest of the day and even at times the following morning as well.

As painfull as it is, I just don't seem to learn my lesson!  It just keeps on happening...  One thing is for sure...  there is a pretty good reason why the Mafia targets your knees when they want to inflict pain on you !  * Cringe *

Here's hoping, my two "foes" feel I have had enough torcher for one day...

Sheesh!

3 comments:

  1. Heh, heh. Happens to me all the time. When typing, I have to use a lot of force, because, if I do not, all that will have happened is that I will have pressed down through my finger, but no character will appear on screen. It is nearly the same physical cost to my hands as if I pushed harder, and, in fact is more because I have to repeat the stroke. And I drop things, too. At this point in my life, I don't hold things statically over the floor anymore. I am either holding them only a few inches above a counter, or moving them. It isn't a question of if my hands or arms will give out, but when. And smacking into things? That's my job, man, but you can have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, google comments have returned! I was thinking about you tonight - wanted you to know that your postcard is on its way. And if that doesn't get through, I will send another. I deliver!

    Yanub has lots of experience with things going funky.

    I have "dropsy" days. As does Cheryl, the more pain you are in, the more likely your nerves won't conduct well and you will drop things (this is our observation). Also with Marfans, I found that the strong nerve fingers (thumb, little and forefinger) have greater accuracy, so sometimes I tape the middle fingers to the strong ones (like the second to the forefinger) and go with that. I guess with Piano they expect you to have FIVE fingers - greedy!

    As for your knees, that sucks. The pain. Which is sort of why I had mine operated on, to stop the tension there all the time. But I can't really say what to suggest. Interesting observations. Have you found anything similar in your marfan's group (on on a marfan's forum?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yanub: Glad to hear I am not the only one ;D. I hear you on the key strokes...in fact, I don't even realise any more how many times I have to go back and retype a character. I used to touch-type 90 words per minute, but nowadays, I wouldn't come close due to mis-types, finger fumbles and the wrist braces. At least when driving, my braces gives extra grip on the steering wheel so I don't actually have to forcefully grip it the whole time as I keep it stable with my palm (It would slip without the braces). I have to carry the kettle with both hands on the base...we don't have a tap in the kitchen.

    Thanks Beth :D I somehow suspected something silly like the mail-system wouldn't get you down ;D. Due to my history with pain, my pain threshold is not what it should be and I sometimes don't even notice the more "subtle" pains any more, so it makes absolute sense what you are saying about the pain causing the "dropsies". They once thought I had a minor kidney stone as I was hardly showing even moderate pain...turned out to be a 5mm stone that would most likely have made someone else faint from the pain.

    The doctors has been threatening surgery ever since I had my first dislocation at the age of 14. It's only after my last incedent, which was serious enough to need reduction under anheasthetics and a 2 month closed-reduction cast that they started to hint towards Marfan's... Strangely enough, I haven't heard of any one else having Marfan's that has the similar problem. Chondromalatia sure...but not necissarily in the degree and form that I have it. What was your diagnosis on your knees?

    I will have to blog the story of my knees, as it would get too long-winded to post as a comment...;P

    ReplyDelete