Monday, December 8, 2008

Shoe is on the other foot...

If you recall, my dad hurt his back picking up Jessy when we were taking her to the vet's...  Well, Jessy is doing waaay better.  We have halved her medication cus if we give her a full tablet, she's worse than a jack in the box with a tail!

As for my dad...things aren't that good...  The doc's initially gave him anti-inflams and sent him on his way.  On Friday, he couldn't take it any more and went back to the doc's.  They finally decided to run some tests and X-Rays.  When the X-Ray's had come back, it turns out my dad has Osteoperosis in one of his vertebrae as it is noteably smaller than the rest and causing him severe pain.  Being his brooding, hard-headed self, he just shrugs and carries on lifting chairs and carrying things around...  It's going to be hard for him to learn not to do silly things like that.  He is always afraid my mom would get hurt by carrying things, but he will have to get used to the fact that my mom is the "strong" one in the family now.

Without being nasty tho, may-haps he will now understand what I have to go through on a daily basis and how difficult it is for me to stand around doing nothing while the rest of the family scurry about carrying groceries and moving furniture...  but with him... I somehow doubt that.  He would rather carry his own coffin than be carried to the grave...

The other aspect of this issue is yes, my dad is getting older but the fact that my grandma also had major Osteoperosis problems, hints to it being linked to the Marfan's.  My dad has never shown (or at least admitted) to any problems even though he has had some indicators, including spontanious pneumothoraxis.

He still needs to go for a bone-density test, so we don't know yet just how bad it is.

As far as I can see, the most that can be done is calcium supplements and at this point, I am not going to run paranoid that I might have it...or should I.  In any case, I drink a lot of supplements already, so there isn't much that can be done otherwise in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry your dad is now facing physical restrictions. I think it is hard for most anyone to accept their bodies have become unreliable, and harder for guys, and even harder for fathers in particular. If it brings the two of you closer together, though, certainly there will be good out of this.

    ReplyDelete